All, I was referred here from travel.stackexchange. MY whole life I have lived in upstate NY. This is not enough for me. I want to spend the majority of my time travelling to other countries and working with new people. As of right now I hold a B.S. in Computer Engineering, M.S. in Electrical Engineering, and am temporarily working as a software engineer. I have heard and done research about software consultants that get to travel to many other countries, and since they are being hired by companies their travel expenses are paid for. I have not seen any similar thing for hardware/ASIC design engineers (area in which I'm passionate). Do these types of jobs exist? I am planning on getting more experience as a digital design engineer before pursuing anything officially.

Also, If these jobs do exists, what would the best way to find a client base. and where would most of these jobs be? I am comfortable spending long periods of time at one location if need be, and I am also fine with traveling for just a week.

If there isn't any need for a Hardware engineering consultant, are there any other jobs that I would be able to use my knowledge base and still be paid to travel. Some people have suggested getting a job where I can remote in consistently so that I could travel whenever I want, but I don't like the idea of paying to travel, to just stay in my hotel room or a cafe doing work.

Also, since I would hypothetically be traveling to many countries for various amounts of time, how would the visa system work. Is it entirely country dependent?

closed as too broad by ouflak, Gayot Fow, gerrit, Giorgio, Karlson Oct 26 '16 at 20:16

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • We seem to share a similar interest. I would like very much to one day work and live in another country. I'm so ignorant about how to make this transformation. How does a US citizen go abroad? We see many from India, China, and other places coming here in search of a visa (I presume) in exchange for a lower salary. I was told that I would have to take a cut in pay to go abroad. I was also told by someone else that this is not true. How does one begin this journey? I think it is country dependent. Upvote for your question and I'll follow you for answers. – Patricia May 11 '15 at 5:51