As an F1 student in the US, can I visit another University in the US for one term to carry out some research project with a professor there?

  • 2
    Will you continue being enrolled as required in your original school? Does it count as internship or being part of your studies? If I remember correctly, you're a PhD student, so this is probably something your IS office has encountered before - have you asked them?
    – littleadv
    Apr 19, 2015 at 22:54

1 Answer 1


F1 regulations are quite strict and many conditions need to be followed there. So it may not be straightforward. You can always transfer to another university but then only a certain amount of credit may be transferred.

I would look in to the definition of "visit", as long as you are maintaining the required load and following regulations of your current university and department you are fine.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.