I'm returning to Sri Lanka, after working in Norway for 2.5 years. Wondering what options I have in taking the pension accumulated.

  • Commenting because I really don't know, but this might be helpful with research: In the UK, there's QROPS if you deal with international pensions. A similar scheme probably exists in Norway. – domen May 7 '15 at 12:28
  • Many countries actually have pension treaties to avoid having to deal with these issues (Norway has them with some countries, but I assume Sri Lanka may not be one of them). If you return to a country that has a treaty, then you can claim the time overseas for your pension in your home country (as I said this may not be applicable to you). – Chris Oct 2 '15 at 10:29

You seem to be out of luck!

If you have worked in Norway, you are only able to get your pension once you reach retirement age (67) if you have worked in Norway for more than 3 years. This webpage from the University of Oslo for its international employees explains this:

3 years of employment is required to get a pension from the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund and the National Pension Fund (one year for EEA-citizens)

And under the What happens when you leave section:

  • Pension contributions can not be transferred to any other pension fund or refunded to contributers moving abroad.
  • Contributions will only be paid out when the contributor reaches retirement age according to Norwegian law.

So even if you worked there for 3 years, you could not get the money refunded, but would have to wait until you reach retirement age and then contact the Norwegian authorities to claim your pension.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.