I worked in France (received a salary) between 19/May/2014-04/May/2015. I moved to the United States on the 28/April/2015. I believe that French taxes are due at the end of May (or end of June if being payed online). All I could gather right now is that I need to fill out a "declaration de revenu", which is also available online at http://www.impots.gouv.fr/portal/static/. However, to access the online space, I need a "numero fiscal" that I do not know how to get.

Repeated emails to my previous employers has not helped at all and I can't speak much French to understand what is being said in all the French websites. Google translate falls short on most occassions. How do I go about paying my income tax and not default? Is there any agency in the USA that can do this for me (cost not being a question)?

2 Answers 2

  • The current déclaration de revenus concerns income received from January 1 2014 to December 31 2014.
  • See here : http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers/F357.xhtml. If your case is that you are a one person income and your revenue is above 9690 € (under this income, you don't have to pay income taxes).
  • If you were getting salary from a french company, your december 2014 fiche de paye should have a line at the end that mentions revenu net annuel or revenu net imposable. That is the basis for your income tax calculation. Your french employer has to provide this data to you (he is providing it to the french tax office on the other hand).

  • You can download and print a paper version of the déclaration de
    revenu here :

  • Besides (sort of) basic informations on page 1 and 2, you only have to fill line 1AJ, column déclarant 1, with the income mentioned above on page 3.

  • You can then send this printed version to the Centre des finances publiques that is attached to your address while you were in France. To find the Centre des finances publiques

  • How to find your Centres des finances publiques ? (from @Gala answer's) :

    Go to http://www.impots.gouv.fr/portal/dgi/public/contactspart

    On this page click first on “Besoin de plus d'informations, de nous contacter ?“ and then on “Contacter votre service local” to unfold the proper form

    The mandatory field "voie" means your postal address (like "rue des fleurs" or "avenue du 8 mai 1945")

    The mandatory field "code postal" means your 5 digits postal code

  • There might be some tricky fields on the document that seem basic to a native french speaker where some help can be useful.

  • Ah ok! I was actually summing my gross pay from May 2014 to April 2015! I didn't realize that the tax year was from Jan 1 to Dec 31. I'll look for revenu net annuel or revenu net imposable on my pay slip for Dec. Thank you.
    – dearN
    Commented May 6, 2015 at 21:04
  • 1
    Centre des impôts is now called Centre des finances publiques
    – audionuma
    Commented May 6, 2015 at 23:08
  • 1
    French Embassy in the USA, information on taxes
    – dearN
    Commented May 6, 2015 at 23:35
  • 2
    @drN On this page click first on “Besoin de plus d'informations, de nous contacter ?“ and then on “Contacter votre service local” to unfold the proper form.
    – Gala
    Commented May 7, 2015 at 19:58
  • 2
    @drN You should put your address. “Voie” is a generic word covering “allée”, “rue”, “avenue”, “impasse”, “boulevard”, “chemin”, “ruelle”, etc. “Gif-sur-Yvette” would then go into “localité“ although you don't really need to specify that as you need to put the postcode under “code postal” anyway.
    – Gala
    Commented May 7, 2015 at 20:09

If it's the first time you file a tax return in France, you don't need any special code or number. It is however not possible to file online, unless you are between 20 and 25 and have received a letter from the tax office (that's intended for young French residents who were previously mentioned on their parents' tax return, not for expats obviously as the tax office wouldn't know about you).

You have to get a paper form (or print it?) and send it by post to the tax office competent for your former place of residence. To find it, you can enter your address on impots.gouv.fr under “contacter votre service local”.

There is a box at the very top of the form where you have to choose either “You are filing a tax return for the first time” or “You have already filed a tax return before” and then provide your FIP and fiscal numbers. Since you don't have a number yet, you have to check the first box and the tax office will then assign a new number for you and it will be mentioned on your “avis d'imposition”.

Beyond that, the documentation and forms are only available in French as far a I know and I don't think you can expect the tax office to provide any contact point for English speakers so it will be difficult to deal with all this without help.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.