Okay so I moved to North America with my wife two years ago and learned to drive pretty much straight away.

I only have a provisional license in the UK as I gave up when I realized we were moving.

Now the question is on returning to the UK am I eligible to drive via my US license for 12 months or will I not be able to drive at all until I take my test?

I couldn't find anything relating to a situation like this so any pointers would be much appreciated.

1 Answer 1


You can use the official uk.gov test. It is only 3 questions long, but a UK resident with a full license from "any other country" (essentially not the EU)

You can drive in Great Britain on your full, valid driving licence for 12 months from when you became resident

  • Thanks for the reply. To me that sounds like I will become a UK resident when I return there in two weeks so I should be able to drive till June 2016 without a UK license. Their wording seems to also imply that is for 'new' residents and not someone who has lived in the UK prior to that however so may have to contact the DVLA directly. May 10, 2015 at 23:48
  • @Hard-BoiledWonderland IANAL but if that was the case, I think they would have had a 4th question about if you had ever been a resident in the past. If you get pulled over a cop is not going to ask for your entire life history, I think it only will be a problem if you get into an accident and your insurance does not want to pay out.
    – StrongBad
    May 11, 2015 at 7:54
  • Called them this morning to double check and you were right, thanks! May 11, 2015 at 13:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.