I am a Canadian citizen looking for a job in the USA. My plan is to get a job in the USA and then apply for a TN visa. Here are my questions:

  1. When I apply for jobs in the USA, the employers ask whether I'm authorized to work in the USA. Am I authorized in this situation?
  2. Working with a TN visa doesn't require employer sponsorship, does it? (I'm thinking that I'll just need the employment letter to get the visa at the port of entry).
  • 1
    Welcome to Expats.SE! StackExchange sites are a little different from others on the internet. We try to leave out greetings or "thanks" or "please help", using a writing tone more like a FAQ document. See expatriates.stackexchange.com/help/behavior and the other pages in our help section to learn more. I proposed an edit to your question attempting to make it simpler and clearer. Feel free to reject or roll it back if I messed something up, and make any edits you feel will improve your question, using the "edit" link underneath your question.
    – Dan Getz
    Commented May 26, 2015 at 16:41

1 Answer 1


No, you're not yet authorized to work in the United States. You could include information about a TN visa in your cover letter.

You are correct that you can apply for the visa at the border directly with a letter from your (prospective) employer. The employer alternatively could file form I-129. Then you would present the approved form at the border instead.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.