I have been living in the USA for 10 years and I am a Permanent resident via my wife who is a USA citizen and have a child together who was born the USA.

My wife would like to work in the UK but I am not sure if the spousal visa is right for her since we don't live in the UK or have any UK income to prove. We plan on staying with my parents while we are in the UK.

What are my options for smooth sailing?

  • "Smooth Sailing" in terms of application or ability to work?
    – Karlson
    Jun 1, 2015 at 16:07
  • ability to work Jun 1, 2015 at 16:19
  • 2
    You should take care that your own American LRP status isn't lost while you're in the U.K..
    – RoboKaren
    Jun 1, 2015 at 16:41
  • From what I see, the income requirements are expressed in pounds, but there's no mention that it must be from a UK source. The equivalent in USD should suffice. But if you will be working for a different employer, or if the same employer will be paying you as a UK employee, you'll probably want to show a contract or other evidence of that income.
    – phoog
    Jun 1, 2015 at 17:06

1 Answer 1


According to multiple sites Visa Logic

Can I work on a spouse visa?

Yes, you are eligible to work or study in the UK once the visa has been granted.

1st Contact Visa:

The visa, which is initially issued for a 2.5 year probationary period, allows you to work without restriction and to exit and re-enter the UK multiple times. Read more: http://www.1stcontactvisas.com/united-kingdom/spousal-partner-visa.aspx#ixzz3bpPSSRwa

UK Permits:

If your application is successful under this category, you will be granted permission to live and work in the UK for a period of 30 months.

The answer is YES.

So if you apply and her visa is granted there should be no issue.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.