If an expat moves back to his home country, he is no longer an expat. Is there a term for the process of moving back? What is someone who is no longer an expat called?


There's repatriation for the process, but I associate that term with involuntary repatriation, as it's something that is done to or for you.

Supposedly there's the related noun repatriate to refer to the individual, but I haven't actually heard it used before.

  • 3
    "Repatriation" is used extensively in Israel with regards to the immigration based on the Right of Return. – littleadv Jun 1 '15 at 19:56
  • @littleadv: In Israel the terms are in Hebrew... – einpoklum Jul 11 '17 at 22:11

A not-very-exciting but certainly accurate and self-explanatory term might be "returnee"?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.