I don't have a degree. May I apply for a Competency-based Degree in USA, would this be a good degree for immigration to Germany?

This is a Bachelor's, but acquired online.

Please check the program here:


Will the program recognize this type of Degree??

  • 3
    I have my doubts. Your "degree" will have to be evaluated by a credential evaluation agency so you may check with them to see which programs if any will be accepted in this case. My guess: without completing formal program: none
    – Karlson
    Jun 9, 2015 at 3:58
  • Which university? Beware of scams in this area.
    – nkjt
    Jun 10, 2015 at 9:35
  • @nkjt University of Wisconsin, at least in US this degree qualifies me to any master´s degree.
    – user6682
    Jun 10, 2015 at 12:30
  • University of Wisconsin online? Or University of Wisconsin in Wisconsin?
    – Karlson
    Jun 10, 2015 at 12:42
  • @Karlson This is the University and the program: flex.wisconsin.edu/blog/category/competency-based-education-2 Just to clarify I meant a master´s in Computer Science What do you think Guys?
    – user6682
    Jun 10, 2015 at 12:44

1 Answer 1


While the Flex program is accredited, and from a well-recognised university, it is rather new, and it's hard to say whether it will be accepted as equivalent to a traditional bachelor's degree (including a traditional distance-learning program).

One issue is that if you go through the program quite quickly (which I get the impression is possible under this system) your transcript will show that.

The ECA results table suggests that there is a minimum time limit for attendance, as categories include:

  • Bachelor's degree or other programs (three or more years) - 21 points for FSW program
  • Two year degree, diploma, or certificate - 19 points
  • One year degree, diploma, or certificate - 15 points

I don't think there's a simple answer, but you should be aware that there's a very real chance that they consider it "less" than a traditional three/four year program. On the other hand, they might still consider it equivalent to the one or two year categories, which still gives you a significant number of points, and employers may also look favourably on it.

What you could do is find out who can do an ECA for your job category, and give a them an email asking if they assess distance learning degrees and if there is any official guidance on the matter.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.