I have an A1 category licence issued in Poland in 2005, am 26 and moving to Germany for a year shortly. How do I upgrade my licence to full A once I am German resident (I assume temporary residence is enough for a year)?

  • Not sure what you mean by “temporary residence is enough for a year”, what will be your status?
    – Gala
    Jun 30 '15 at 16:21

Generally speaking, in the EU, everything related to driving licenses should be dealt with by your state of residence. So once you become a German resident, you are supposed to get your license in Germany following the local rules.

Based on a quick websearch (e.g. this site) it seems there are two ways to obtain an unrestricted A license in Germany:

  • The “direct way”: Taking a course and a theoretical and practical exam (you can do this because you are older than 26).
  • Upgrade from A2 license: Taking a practical exam after holding the A2 license for two years.

The A2 license can itself be obtained through a practical exam if you have your A1 license since more than two years.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy