Is it faster for a U.S citizen to get married in Mexico and then do the I-130, or to go through a Fiancé(e) petition?

  • 2
    Faster to what? Faster to be in the US physically? Or faster to become a permanent resident?
    – user102008
    Jul 10, 2015 at 18:29
  • 1
    Does the one of you who is Mexican have an existing tourist (or other) visa to visit the USA?
    – Flimzy
    Jul 10, 2015 at 22:07

2 Answers 2


USCIS has a pretty decent page showing current processing times. Depending on where you have to submit your application for either one processing times may vary.

Long story short I would consult an immigration lawyer before doing one or the other.


Once your fiancee enters on K-1 visa, he/she will need to file AOS after the marriage to change status to permanent resident. That would end up being almost an identical process to getting the K-1 visa, which means you'll go through basically the same process twice, sequentially.

If you marry in Mexico and apply for IR-1 visa you'll only go through the process once.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.