I am a Romanian citizen and my husband is Nepali. We recently got married in Nepal, but now want to move to Greece. I have lived and worked in Greece and I also have a registration certificate from their immigration.

  • As we want to move directly to Greece now, can I register our marriage in Greece or I have to do it in Romania where my permanent address is?

  • If I go back to Romania and he wants to fly directly to Greece and meet me there, can he apply for a visa to Greek embassy with our marriage certificate and can he also apply for a 5 years residence permit in Greece so that we can settle down there?

The information I have is that first I need to register the marriage (but where, Romania or Greece, as I also have registration certificate from Greece?), then I have to send him the documents do that he can apply to Greek embassy for visa and then he can also apply for a 5 years residence permit in Greece, is that correct?

  • Flagged for migration to the expatriation website.
    – Relaxed
    Jul 11, 2015 at 15:14
  • I don't know much about that and won't be able to provide an answer but I think it could be useful to add some information about your situation to get a better answer. Are you currently living and working in Greece? Or have you only lived there in the past? And, in that case, for how long? Were you until recently a permanent resident in Greece and do you want to resume that status or what's this “registration certificate” about?
    – Relaxed
    Jul 11, 2015 at 15:18
  • If that's not the case, I would think that you first need to find work in Greece to ensure your husband qualifies for a residence permit as member of the family of an EU citizen but in the current context, it seems a bit difficult. Or do you have enough money to reside in Greece anyway?
    – Relaxed
    Jul 11, 2015 at 15:21
  • No I were not recently a permanent resident in Greece , I have worked there for 3 months that's why I have this registration certificate, but if find s new job in Greece and rent a flat there will my husband qualify for a 5 years residence permit? And also can I register the marriage directly in Greece or I have to do it Romania ?
    – user31691
    Jul 11, 2015 at 16:20
  • Or what's the case if I'm newly registered and working in Greece for a month for instance ? And also if I come back to Romania now, can he apply on his own to Greek embassy for a visa , thanks a lot
    – user31691
    Jul 11, 2015 at 16:22

1 Answer 1


I am not specifically knowledgeable about your situation, but generally matters for citizens of EU countries, like registration of a marriage, happen in your own country. They are then honoured in all other EU countries. So based on this, you should register the marriage in Romania.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.