I lived in the UK for a full year while doing my Master's degree, six years ago. I was registered at the NHS, and I do have the number written down.

Since I was registered at the NHS, is there a chance that I was also issued a National Insurance Number? If yes, what's the easiest way to find that out? If not, what's the process?

I'm a EU national, and do have a NIN in my home country.

  • Were you working at any point whilst as a student in the UK?
    – Gagravarr
    Jul 13 '15 at 22:34
  • No, I wasn't. Turns out I don't have one, better answer my own question now.
    – surfmadpig
    Jul 14 '15 at 23:24

According to the people at the National Insurance Applications call centre, a NHS number does not mean a NI number at all. So if you are registered for the NHS as a student but you've never worked in the UK, you do not have a National Insurance number. In which case you apply for one.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.