I am currently on a Tier 2 Worker's Visa in the UK with a Certificate of Sponsorship from a university as a research fellow. I am basically doing research only, and I miss doing some tutoring and teaching.

What I would like to be able to do is some freelance tutoring on the side, just to keep my pedagogical skills up and make some extra spare cash. I have no idea if I can do this on my visa. Has anyone been in this situation? What kind of small side jobs and gigs can people do on a General Tier 2? I am talking about 1-5 hours a week.


The Tier 2 general visa allows holders to

do a second job in the same sector and at the same level as your main job for up to 20 hours per week


I think tutoring at the undergraduate and postgraduate level would be in the same sector and same level as your main job. Tutoring at the a-level would be questionable. Just be aware, that while your visa may allow you to work a second job your research fellowship may not allow you to take on outside work. Another approach would be to ask your department for a little bit of teaching. They most likely will not pay you, but it is probably the best in terms of your CV.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.