I have a job at a Canadian studio owned by a French company.

My girlfriend and I are both Canadian.

I have the opportunity to work abroad in another one of the parent company's studios for one year. They are based all over the world: France, Japan, Finland, Italy, Singapore, UAE, Germany, Sweden, China, Ukraine, Spain.

I have a bachelors degree, the job is in a highly technical field, but it is an entry-level job in the field.

My girlfriend also holds a bachelors degree.

Is there anywhere where my girlfriend would be able to join me and work?

  • Depends on your age, but she might be OK in France under the France-Canada Youth Mobility Agreement – Gagravarr Aug 7 '15 at 16:00
  • Youth Mobility Agreements notwithstanding but why not just try to find work in the same country you have? – Karlson Aug 7 '15 at 16:58
  • 3
    "girlfriend" is not a legal status, "wife" is. In most cases, married/registered/common law partners will be able to come as dependents. – littleadv Aug 8 '15 at 11:55
  • 1
    @littleadv That's presumably why the OP asked this question… – Gala Aug 13 '15 at 6:41
  • @zachok could you please clarify if you're interested, or not, in marrying to permit her to join you overseas? – Dan Getz Aug 15 '15 at 18:53

In Finland, cohabiting partner is a sufficient status for your girlfriend to get a residence permit, assuming that you would have "Type A" status.

On the other hand, as a practical matter in August 2015, non-Finnish foreigners are not that likely to be hired.

| improve this answer | |

In Japan, since you are not married the fact that she is your girlfriend is irrelevant. In order to come live in Japan with you, she will have to obtain a visa of some sort exactly as if you weren't there.

If you were married, she would be able to obtain a "Dependent" visa provided that your income is deemed sufficient to support the two of you. A Dependent visa does not immediately allow one to work, but one may apply for a work permit which allows one to work part-time up to 28 hours per week. (In order to work more than 28 hours per week, a proper "work visa" is required, and you're back to the previous paragraph.)

EDIT: As pointed out in the comments, a working holiday visa may also be an option if your girlfriend qualifies.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.