Is it allowed to work as student (intern) in Luxemburg given that I hold a valid residence permit and a valid working permit in Germany?

Is it also allowed for those who have Blue-Card issued from Germany?

  • This is probably an expats.SE question. Also, generally the Luxembourg consulate is the right place to ask.
    – Louis
    Aug 13, 2015 at 8:36
  • Regarding the EU Blue Card, the details are perhaps also best left to the expatriates website but there are complex rules depending on how long the person has been in Germany on an EU Blue Card. There is a first threshold after 18 months and after 5 years the rules applicable to permanent residents kick in.
    – Relaxed
    Aug 13, 2015 at 9:34

2 Answers 2


Working permits are still national matters in the EU and your German working permit does not allow you to work in Luxembourg. To the extent that your internship counts as work, you would therefore need some form of authorization from Luxembourg.

For less than 90 days, you can however travel to and stay in Luxembourg on the basis of your German residence permit and would only need a permit to work. For more than 90 days, even staying without working would be forbidden and you would need a Luxembourg residence permit/visa anyway.

A German blue card is a type of residence permit and as such also allows the holder to stay in another Schengen country under the conditions I just described. On top of that, there are special rules to make it easier to take up employment in another participating country but no unconditional right to work without applying for a local blue card.

  • 2
    Also not that a student internship in Germany will hardly yield enough compensation to get to the Blue Card threshhold. Not even the lower one for IT. And moving the Blue Card from one country to another only works easily after some times, not immediately after one started working with it in Germany.
    – simbabque
    Aug 13, 2015 at 11:23

The better thing would be to make yourself available in LU for the period of 90 days and then within the timeframe get the appointment with LU immigration and change the blue card status to LU. Hope this works for you.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.