I'm a US citizen and I work for a US company. My company has a subsidiary in the UK where we have at least one person employed.

What are my options for working from London? How long can a "business" trip to the UK last? And how frequently can I do it?

Also, what would be the process of me transferring to the UK subsidiary? I believe there is an easier visa process for an internal company transfer but I'm not sure where to start looking for that.

Thank you!

  • 1
    There's a visa for that!
    – mkennedy
    Aug 23, 2015 at 12:14
  • 2
    Business trip != working. If you get caught working while on business trip (i.e.: doing actual work that you don't need anyone else from the local office physically be present near you to do) you may end up being deported and denied future entry. You'd be surprised, but most countries have quite similar laws when it comes to illegal immigration, and the UK laws are not all that much different from the US ones.
    – littleadv
    Aug 24, 2015 at 3:56
  • If your company have both UK and US locations are intending to transfer you or send you on business from one to another, they ought to be responsible for ensuring you have the correct visa/documentation before sending you.
    – nkjt
    Aug 24, 2015 at 11:30

1 Answer 1


The gov.uk site is almost always the best place to start when trying to find visa information.

The visa you're probably looking for is the Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa. There are various requirements, including that the employer in the UK is licensed to issue Tier 2 visa sponsorships. The company will need to apply for the tier 2 licensing scheme

You could use the visitor visa for short trips, including for business meetings - but you couldn't work in the country with the visa. Beware: If you use the business visa incorrectly, you may well have other visas denied.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.