I've recently graduated with a masters in Clinical Psychology in Belgium. Is this diploma sufficient to be an accredited psychologist in the UK or would I need additional training?

  • 1
    I don't know exactly what the rules and requirements are but I think the most relevant accreditation would be the “chartered psychologist” title from the British Psychological Society. Maybe their website will tell you what you need.
    – Gala
    Aug 27, 2015 at 12:36
  • 2
    Anything labelled "chartered" is generally a much higher level than "able to work legally in that profession in the UK", which I think is what the OP is after.
    – nkjt
    Aug 27, 2015 at 13:35
  • 1
    You will need a NARIC as step 1 in any event. ecctis.co.uk/naric/Individuals/Coming%20to%20the%20UK.aspx
    – Gayot Fow
    Aug 27, 2015 at 13:56

1 Answer 1


The appropriate regulatory body is HCPC.

The following titles are protected, meaning you cannot describe yourself as any of the following (professionally in the UK) unless you are on their register:

• Practitioner psychologist
• Registered psychologist
• Clinical psychologist
• Counselling psychologist
• Educational psychologist
• Forensic psychologist
• Health psychologist
• Occupational psychologist
• Sport and exercise psychologist

Information on applying for registration can be found from HCPC here. It is likely that you can apply under "International - EEA mutual recognition rights" - if your course is one that would allow you to practice as a registered psychologist in Belgium and you hold an appropriate citizenship (EEA member state or Swiss).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.