I would like to know if as a married spouse of a EU citizen, I am entitled to apply for jobs in other EU countries or if I am only entitled to apply in the country where I was granted a permit to live in.

  • Would you be living in the same country as your spouse, and commuting cross-border every day, or would you be planning to live and work in a completely different country?
    – Gagravarr
    Aug 27, 2015 at 21:24
  • applying for a job with the intention of moving to that country. together obviously.
    – elijah
    Aug 28, 2015 at 14:50

1 Answer 1


You can apply for jobs wherever you want but you can only work in the country that issued your residence card. If you find work in another country you will need to apply for an authorisation to work there (if it's only temporary work) and another residence permit (if you want to stay there more than three months).

If your spouse is moving with you, then that's simply a matter of obtaining the same residence card from another country, which should be reasonably easy. If your spouse is not moving with you to your new country of residence, you are on your own as far as visas go, which means you will need to qualify for a (typically much harder to get) work visa rather than a EU spouse residence card.

That's assuming you want to move to the other country. If you intend to stay in your current country of residence and commute every day/week across the border, you will still need some form of authorisation but I am not even sure something like that exists everywhere. As far as I know, EU law does not help you at all in this situation (there are many rules about EU citizens cross-border commuters but they don't need a residence permit anywhere).

In any case, your current residence card alone allows you to travel and stay for a short time in other countries but not to work there.

  • thank you! but simply applying for jobs is not an issue right?
    – elijah
    Aug 28, 2015 at 14:48
  • @elijah No, it should be fine.
    – Gala
    Sep 1, 2015 at 8:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.