I am an F1 student on a leave of absence from my PhD program. I want to attend a 5-day conference in the USA. Can I enter using my valid B1/B2 visa? This entry will only be for the conference; I will re-enter using my F1 visa once I get my new I-20.


Yes, you can enter with a valid B1/B2 visa, as a visitor and to attend a short conference. You may want to have a copy of the I-94, so that your university is able to verify the time you were in the US, and that you did not enter under the F-1, and so that it doesn't conflict with the issuance of the new I-20.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.