I am a US citizen living abroad in Europe. No longer a US resident, I file taxes with a 2555 foreign earned income exemption and pay all taxes and social security in the country of residence--which has both tax treaties and totalization agreements with the US.

If I consult for a US company, can they pay me in European Euros directly to my european bank account and, if so, do I need to fill out a W9 form?

My main source of income is in Euro, being employed by a European company, in Europe where I reside. Although I am still, and only, an American citizen. The US consult is short-term temporary work; I prefer they pay me in Euros directly to my European bank account.

  • 1
    If you are a US citizen you have a SSN. Why would you need another Tax ID?
    – Karlson
    Sep 15, 2015 at 14:57
  • My question still stands. Why do you need to have another Tax ID for the IRS if you already have one? Whether or not you're paid in Europe and in Euros is irrelevant. If you're looking to set up a company then it's different story altogether.
    – Karlson
    Sep 17, 2015 at 13:59
  • Ok, so maybe I’m not understanding the purpose of a W9. I had understood that taxpayers must fill them out when they are working as a freelancer rather than as an employee, its purpose to declare the sum being earned as freelancer. I didn’t realize its purpose was to request a TIN. Thanks for your help, and your time!
    – user8224
    Sep 18, 2015 at 8:48

1 Answer 1


You will need to fill it out for the European Bank but to provide them with your SSN as part of the FATCA reporting. So yes you will need to fill one out but not because you're paid in Euro but because you have an account in a European Bank.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.