If I live in USA now, but have a Canadian driver licence, can I buy and register car here or I need to register and get car insurance in Canada?

I works in US by TN visa. I applied for SSN, but didn't get it yet.

Question is: US driver licence is necessary for car registration? Or Canadian is okay?

  • 1
    If you are a US resident, you are very likely violating the law of the state where you reside. Most states have a rule that within 30 days of moving there (or some similar period), you must apply for a driver's license from that state. In other words, most states do not allow their residents to drive with a license from another jurisdiction. – phoog Oct 12 '15 at 17:41
  • 1
    I'm still less than 30 days here, just wonder if I can buy car before I get US driver licence. – Alexan Oct 12 '15 at 17:46
  • The quickest way to find out is probably to ask a car dealer, or, if you want to buy one in a private sale, ask the motor vehicles office in your state. – phoog Oct 12 '15 at 17:55
  • How did you solve this in the end? Maybe you could put in an answer to help future users? And could you please specify which US state you are/were in? – mts Jul 28 '17 at 6:07
  • @mts, it depends on the state. I was in RI, used Canadian car first, then got RI driver licence. It isn't answer actually, just workaround. – Alexan Jul 28 '17 at 16:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.