My son was born in Netherlands outside of marriage or registered partnership. Father (Bulgarian) has disappeared with no contact. Is there a possibility to remove the Bulgarian nationality & maintain British (mothers nationality) only? The father has zero contact & makes no financial contribution


It is very unlikely that you will be able to renounce the child's Bulgarian citizenship for them. Almost no country in the world allows such a thing, and those that do allow minors to renounce have strict requirements to ensure that the child is making an independent decision and understands the ramifications. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find an English translation of specific Bulgarian nationality law with regards to renunciation by minors. There may not even be a provision.

British nationality is not affected in any case.

  • Thanks for replying. In Holland there is an option for me & my child to switch to Dutch nationality but that isn't the preferred option as we would also have to give up British.
    – Su B
    Oct 11 '15 at 8:40
  • 2
    If I may ask, what are you wanting to accomplish, and why? Maybe we can help.
    – ouflak
    Oct 11 '15 at 8:55
  • @SuB why not just live in Holland under EU freedom of movement rights, and retain both nationalities? What advantage do you see in dropping the Bulgarian nationality?
    – phoog
    Oct 12 '15 at 17:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.