I heard that for some cases, the F-1 visa holder doesn't have to renew his visa if the visa is expired. But how about the following cases after the visa was expired?

  • The holder transfers from a college to a college.

  • The holder moves from an undergrad school to a grad school of different university.

1 Answer 1


A US visa is only for entry to the US. If the person does not need to enter the US, then they do not need a valid US visa. (That's also why US visas can only be gotten outside the US.) A US visa has no bearing on the person's status after entering the US.

A person who is already in the US in F-1 status can transfer to different schools as much as they want as long as they get an I-20 from the new school. They will remain in F-1 status. A visa has nothing to do with it.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.