I'm an US citizen for over ten years now and my parents just became citizens, what do they need to do to get social security benefit?

P.S.: "they have their tax ids for 9y"

Any information is appreciated!


They need to pay FICA taxes enough to accumulate 40 credits (i.e.: 10 years with ~16K taxable wages/year). They do not have to be citizens for that, so taxes they already paid also count.

Otherwise, if they're over 65 they'll be eligible for medicare 5 years after getting their green card, but may need to pay the premium for medicare part A.

  • Thank you so much, I'm gonna study everything about Federal Insurance Contributions Act. God bless you and God bless America +1
    – Kyle
    Nov 12 '15 at 10:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy