My husband is a British citizen, but I'm an Iranian citizen. He wants to immigrate to Spain. I want to know should I go with him or he must go first and find a job? Does it take too long?


1 Answer 1


Since your husband needs a job to have a right to stay in Spain and sponsor your residence card beyond the first 3/6 months, it would seem easier if he got a job first.

Alternatively, if you have enough savings, you could apply for a residence card as the spouse of an “economically non-active” EU citizen immediately. You could even work yourself on that basis, even if your husband does not have a job yet.

  • Can't the wife stay with the husband if he proves his status as an active job seeker?
    – phoog
    Nov 13, 2015 at 21:35
  • @phoog In principle, yes. Job seeking is why I wrote 6 months. After that, it should indeed still be possible if you prove you are still actively and have a good chance of finding a job but I don't know how realistic this is in practice.
    – Gala
    Nov 14, 2015 at 7:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.