Why I'm coming to Canada:

I'm currently a fourth year undergraduate engineering student holding an Indian passport. I've been accepted for a 6-month thesis at Ecole Polytechnique, Montreal, Quebec. The thesis is an academic requirement of my university, and comprises the last semester of my undergraduate studies. My university requires me to do a thesis for at least 4 months, although preferably 5 to 5-1/2 months to get the most out of my thesis. My university has no tie ups with any Canadian universities.

What benefits I'm being offered:

My offer letter states that I will be provided a 5000$ allowance for flight tickets and accommodation (which I will have to arrange myself), and the possibility of a 3000$ scholarship, based on my performance during the first 3 months.

What I've looked at so far:

At present, I'm confused about whether I will require a work visa, a study permit, or neither. Since I'm not getting a stipend per se, as far as I can tell, I will not require a work visa, but I'm not very sure. Also, as per the Canadian Immigration and Citizenship website, it seems that a study permit will not be required for a short-term course (6 months or less). Does this mean that I require neither visa? If I require neither, then what type of visa would I require?

  • What do you mean by "tie ups"?
    – phoog
    Nov 16, 2015 at 20:23
  • It sounds like you'll need a regular "visitor visa." This is the same visa tourists use, but it is not specifically a tourist visa.
    – phoog
    Nov 16, 2015 at 20:28
  • "tie up" = an official collaboration and/or student exchange program.
    – mkennedy
    Nov 17, 2015 at 0:15
  • The best thing to do is call CIC and confirm 1 (888) 242-2100
    – Dipen Shah
    Nov 17, 2015 at 13:56
  • What visa did you end up applying for? Maybe you could come back and answer your own question to help future users in the same situation?
    – mts
    Jul 28, 2017 at 5:45

1 Answer 1


2017 update: as provided by the individual who posed the question:

The situation was resolved satisfactorily by making application to Canada as a tourist, and being granted a visa which allows residence in Canada for up to a six-month stay from the day of entry. Extension is permitted while in Canada, but must be applied for at least 30 days before the authorized end of stay.

In addition, he enrolled as a part-time student to fulfill the requirements of his home university.

You can study at any school in Canada without a study permit if:

  • your course or program is for six months or less
  • your studies aren’t part of a longer program and
  • you will complete all your studies within the time we approved you to stay in Canada (usually six months after you enter).
  • "your studies aren’t part of a longer program". If you are studying in order to fulfil requirements of your home university then it sounds like they are part of a longer program. Sep 2, 2019 at 18:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.