I have been living in Norway for soon over a year and I was wondering what to do with insurance. I am insured at Storebrand with my employer (private pension, travel, accident) and my girlfriend has an innboforsikring that covers me as well.

In Germany, I know that there are certain private insurances that are a must have, like a Haftpflichtversicherung that covers damages you cause to others, like for example accidentally setting a house on fire. Are there insurances that you should get for yourself when living in Norway that are considered a "must-have"?

2 Answers 2


Check the details of your innboforsikring, mine from Tryg includes legal expenses and private liability insurance ("Rettshjelp og privatansvar"), and I would guess other insurance companies do the same. This is the case for both their standard and "ekstra" insurance. See for instance here: http://www.tryg.no/forsikringer/innboforsikring.html


Depends on your situation I think. If you rent a home you definitely want a good Innbo-insurance.

If you own a home you need to have a Villa-insurance. If you have kids I'd recommend Barne-insurance.

The Travel-insurance is vital in all cases, so if you lose that; get a private one. It covers most things that could happen while on the go; except for using a car of course.

For a car you'd want the Delkasko-insurance or Fullkasko-insurance, depending on how expensive the car is. Delkasko is fine if it's a cheap car (for you). Both cover damage to your windshield.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.