I am currently employed in the US with an approved H1B Visa (valid upto 2017). But, I am thinking of switching jobs. My question is : Will I be able to take a vacation outside the US while I am between jobs and then re-enter using the old H1-B Visa + the offer letter of new job ?

Now, in the longer run, I am aware that I'd have to transfer the H1B to new employer. But, it is not clear to me if I will be able to convince my new employer to initiate such a transfer before my formal joining date. Hence the question!

  • 1
    I will be able to convince my new employer to initiate such a transfer before my formal joining date - not sure you understand how it works. You cannot join before they actually transfer the H1b.
    – littleadv
    Nov 24, 2015 at 10:11
  • Yes, my apologies. I should have been more careful with my wording. I meant to distinguish between the moment of getting a receipt vs moment of getting I-797. The former is enough to start work, but I wasnt sure if it was sufficient to travel. Your comment in the answer sorts this out as well. Nov 25, 2015 at 18:03

1 Answer 1


No, you won't. Since you left your job - your H1b is no longer valid.

You need the new employer to apply for a new H1b authorization for you. You can then travel with the new I-797, even if the visa sticker has the old number on it.

If you travel while in between jobs and without the new I-797, you'll be turned away at the port of entry since your visa is not valid in that situation.

  • Thanks! Let me ask a quick clarification. Can the receipt for application for a new H1-B used instead of the new I-797 (which I am guessing would take a much longer time to be processed) ? Nov 24, 2015 at 9:55
  • 2
    @WorldTraveller I would ask the lawyer for the new company. With the receipt you can start working there. But I would not be as arrogant as to travel with it. As to how long - with premium processing it will be up to two weeks, and in my experience (done that twice) it usually takes a couple of days after the receipt till they mail the new one. Your mileage can wary, talk to the attorney.
    – littleadv
    Nov 24, 2015 at 10:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.