I am buying a motor home that has Slovakian Plates it has been in the UK for 2 months and I will have it here for 3 weeks then take it to Spain. How can I insure it?

The owner is legit and has all the relevant documents. But I'm getting conflicting advice DVLA say I may need to insure it in Slovakia AND the U.K.! The Slovakian police have said I need to go in person to Slovakia!

I ultimately want to register it in Spain but it's getting very complex!


1 Answer 1


If you are in the UK, and only want insurance for the UK and Spain, you can re-register the vehicle in the UK as an imported vehicle. It would then be issued with a "Q" prefix number plate.

( This is relatively common across the EU. Germany (certainly used to) require vehicles owned by ex-pat residents to be re-registered with German plates, for example. See also: http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/vehicles/registration/taxes/index_en.htm )

The vehicle is then a UK vehicle, and you can do all your insuring in the UK, or in the UK and Spain.


This is not a legal requirement as long as:

You don’t need to report the arrival of the vehicle using NOVA if any of the following apply:

the vehicle is in the UK for less than 6 months in a 12-month period and you normally live in the EU (one single visit, or several shorter visits adding up to a 6-month period)

It takes 4 weeks to complete the process, generally speaking.

  • 1
    As Spain will have an analogous system, perhaps you could contact Spain, and have it registered there, and insured from there, from the off?
    – Euan M
    Nov 28, 2015 at 22:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.