I'm planning to study in Canada as an exchange student for the Spring semester (January-April). It is okay to study in travel visa which allows me to stay at Canada for 6 months.

But my plan is study+travel so I'm planning to travel Canada after the study (May-July). As it takes longer than 6 months, I need a visa. Could I get a student visa?

  • What's your citizenship?
    – mkennedy
    Dec 5, 2015 at 23:56

1 Answer 1


According to your plan, you'll enter Canada for an exchange program, and do not require a visa but can remain in Canada for up to a 6-month period. This suggests that you are a visa-free national and, were you to apply for a study visa for a short exchange program, you might be advised that you don't require one, as the exchange is for only 4 months.

Rather, once you are in Canada, consider applying for an extension, and doing so before the end of your authorized stay.

Extend your stay in Canada as a visitor

You should apply 30 days before your status expires to:

  • extend your visitor, student or work status,
  • change your permit type (for example, from a study permit to a work permit) or
  • change your permit condition(s) (for example, if you are studying and you want to change schools, or if you are working and you want to change jobs).

Find out how to extend your stay as a visitor.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.