I am a US citizen living with my Mexican wife in Mexico. We have no plans to live in the US, but much of my work is there. We would like to be able to legally work together in US, but work visas appear to be for specific jobs or for emigrating to US. Which type visa would be appropriate to allow us to work together on projects in US and allow us to remain in Mexico?

  • 1
    Depending on the nature of the projects, it may be permissible under a B-1 visa. Can you give more information?
    – phoog
    Jan 15 '16 at 11:07

There's no such visa. She can get a green card as your wife, but that requires actually moving to the US. There's no other immigration benefit your citizenship can get her.

  • But depending on the nature of the work, it may be allowed under a B-1 visa.
    – phoog
    Jan 15 '16 at 15:01
  • @phoog not because of the citizen-husband though, more likely despite him. This would generally work for short business trips, not staying for weeks or months at a time.
    – littleadv
    Jan 15 '16 at 17:32
  • Projects are two to four days, max Jan 17 '16 at 16:49
  • @Ariadneflores you mentioned that you're electrician, and you expect your wife to fill in instead of the local helpers. It would be illegal to do that on B1/B2 visa, and if caught your wife may be deported and barred from entry to the US.
    – littleadv
    Jan 18 '16 at 0:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.