I'm an Italian who has been living in UK for more than one year now, in some year (I don't know how many) I hope i will manage how to find a job in the states (since it is my "ultimate dream"). I heard that the green card is necessary to work there.

My question is:

How to get this green card? How much does it cost? Any other useful information would be helpful.

  • 1
    I could have sworn this question had been asked here before, but I can't find it. A good place to start learning about green cards is from the USCIS.
    – Dan Getz
    Commented Jan 22, 2016 at 13:43
  • 1
    Try for a Diversity Visa, or find a company to sponsor you for an H-1B. Both are lotteries. The DV will get you a green card, while the H-1B makes you eligible to apply for a green card (permanent residency) after several years.
    – mkennedy
    Commented Jan 22, 2016 at 20:25
  • It should be noted that the green card denotes permanent residence, which is not the only way for a foreigner to work legally in the United States. There are many more or less temporary options. When you say "find a job" do you mean a seasonal job or longer-term employment? Would you want to move to the US permanently or just for a few years?
    – phoog
    Commented Jan 25, 2016 at 6:45
  • I would like to move there permanently. So i guess i need a permanent job there, however i don't know exactly how it works there for foreigners to find a job. But since I'm not an american i suppose it's not that easy to find a permanent job there. So i was wondering what could i do to make my life easier. Commented Jan 25, 2016 at 10:00

1 Answer 1


1) Marry an American.

2) Have your child marry an American and then apply for you.

3) Diversity lottery. This is quite a longshot.

4) H1-B work visa assuming you are in a field in demand. You might be able to convert that to a green card. Again, a lottery but with much better odds.

There are also investor visas but they're for people funding a business, not for employees. The amount you must invest is beyond the means of the average person.

  • I thought it coulb be possible buy one of those... I guess i was wrong Commented Jan 22, 2016 at 22:54
  • 1
    @lukkio The investor visa is basically bought except you invest the money rather than give it to the government. Given the $500k pricetag it's obviously not applicable to you. Commented Jan 22, 2016 at 22:56
  • The child has to be over 21 to apply for you, so this route can be very time consuming.
    – phoog
    Commented Jan 23, 2016 at 2:56
  • @phoog Not really because they'll need to be 18 to marry the American in the first place and it takes a while before they can apply for their parents. I doubt the age 21 limit ever comes into play in such a situation. The only way I can see it being meaningful is A+B have C. They split, B marries D (American) while C is a minor. When C turns 21 they can apply for A. Commented Jan 23, 2016 at 19:17
  • I don't have any child. So pay was a kind of my first option. Commented Jan 23, 2016 at 19:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.