I am a EU Citizen(Finland). My husband is having permanent residence permit in Finland.Now he got a job in Ireland.Does he need visa/work permit to work in Ireland? Does My EU citizenship help him to move to Ireland?

  • 2
    Yes, you can move to Ireland with your husband under EU freedom of movement and your husband will have the right to work in Ireland. I am not sure exactly how this works if you are "economically inactive" and dependent on your husband's income, however. Someone ought to come along with some pointers in the near future. I don't think that your husband's Finnish permanent residence gives him an independent right to establish himself in another EU country.
    – phoog
    Commented Jan 25, 2016 at 15:29

1 Answer 1


Yes, but it would be a bit tricky. First of all, the Finnish residence permit has no power in Ireland because Ireland isn't in Schengen.

But there is a way. You, as a EU citizen, should move into Ireland and declare Irish residence to tax purposes. Then, your spourse might apply for an Irish residence permit. It is Stamp 4EUFam for the case. The details

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.