I have a tourist Schengen visa and I intend to my fiancé in Italy and get married while I am there.

What do we need to do, and what papers are required?

I am not a EU citizen, and she is a student living with her mother. My Schengen visa was issued by the French Consulate and is valid for 90 days.

1 Answer 1


Under Italian civil law, for a foreign citizen to marry an Italian, you would need:

  • valid passport/international identity card
  • a copy of your birth certificate from your country of origin, translated into Italian and certified at the Italian embassy/consulate in your country of origin
  • an affidavit (Dichiarazione Giurata) from your country of origin stating that there is no legal impediment to marriage; the certificate must also be both translated and certified at an Italian Embassy/Consulate in your country of origin.

As appropriate, you may require evidence of the termination of any previous marriage/s (e.g., final divorce decree, annulment decree, or death certificate of former spouse). Those, too, would require translation and certification at an Italian Embassy/Consulate in order to have them accepted by the Ufficiale di Stato Civile.

You present all documents to the Ufficio Matrimoni where the marriage will be take place, and make a Dichiarazione di Matrimonio before a registrar (ufficiale di stato civile).

The banns of marriage are then published, compulsory in Italy, after which there is at least a 10-day waiting period before the marriage can take place, a period which must include two Sundays.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.