I have a Post Graduate work permit valid up to 2018. I have a NOC class A 2175 job and I am planning to apply for permanent residence. My employer has already filed a pre-screen application under the International Student with a job offer category under OINP in January. The processing time for this application is 90 days. After the approval of this, I have to apply for a Nominee application, the processing time for which is 90 days again which will give me 600 points in my Express Entry profile.

I got married in January. My wife is in India and I want to get her in Canada as soon as possible.

Basically I can think of couple of options:

(1) File my Nominee application as married and wait to get the permanent residence under Express Entry which will take me at least 8 months.

(2) Apply for a work permit for my wife as my dependent. Somebody suggested that this process is quick and generally takes only a month. However I could not find a proper link on CIC to do so.

What is the procedure for this?

What are the requirements?

Do I have to show any balance in my bank account?

Does she need to give IELTS or similar exam before coming here?

A link explaining all of this would be really great.

(3) Any other option that I am not aware of.

UPDATE 1 I have tried calling CIC inquiring this and I have asked a couple questions regarding this. When asked they sent me a generic email dumping all the information in it but not giving answers to my specific questions, so my question still remains the same.

UPDATE 2 I have tried talking to CIC customer service again today to apply for a spousal work permit making my wife as my dependent. Upon talking to them, I told them I had opened up a MyCIC account under my wife's name and that the application showed that I had to upload the IMM1295 but it isn't asking for any information regarding my job which isn't right because the work permit is dependent on the type of job I have. Upon asking CIC customer service representative about the details about where do I need to provide the information about my job and other info, I was told you have to submit it as optional documents with the application which doesn't seem right as these are the most important documents required for this application. I am really hoping I get some help here because other sources are not being helpful right now.

  • The fact that the documents are optional doesn't necessarily imply that they are seen as unimportant to your application; it could just mean that such documents are not required for all application types. Is the application form you're using specific to a dependant work permit? It apppears not to be. Why would people on the internet be able to give better advice than CIC customer service?
    – phoog
    Feb 5, 2016 at 13:50
  • @phoog That's what I thought too. But I thought people with similar experiences might know what I am doing wrong here. They mention it here that I should have a job listed in Skill Level 0, A or B. I am pretty sure they would be interested in seeing documents related to my job and more. There is a question checklist which I have to answer and based on that the type of work permit to be applied is decided. So basically I have just answered the questions they asked. I am not sure if it is the right application form or not.
    – Dipen Shah
    Feb 5, 2016 at 14:08

1 Answer 1


I will leave an answer if this helps future visitors. I applied the work permit through a consultancy firm which asked me this as the document checklist. I got the work permit finally after the processing time ( 2 months)

Documentary Evidence to be supplied by Student/Worker In Canada on Temporary Residence Visa (Work Permit or Study Permit):

  • Proof of status In Canada : Copy of Valid Work Permit/Study Permit.
  • Copy of Valid Passport ( All Stamp Pages).
  • Proof of income i.e. Letter from current employer.
  • Last 6 months of Payslips and 6 months Checking Account Bank Statement to verify the salary deposited.
  • Most Recent T-1 General (Income Tax Return) & Notice of Assessment from Revenue Canada.
  • Most Recent T-4 Statement of Remuneration.
  • Proof Of Funds In Canadian Bank Account. (Recommended Funds $ 12000.00 in Saving Accounts).
  • Copy of your Final Transcript & Diploma From College/University.

Forms to be completed by Main Applicant outside Canada:

  • Application for Temporary Resident Visa [IMM 5257]
  • Family Information [IMM 5645]
  • Schedule 1 – Application for Temporary Resident Visa [IMM 5257 – Schedule 1]
  • Statutory Declaration of Common-law Union [IMM 5409] ( If Applicable)
  • IMM 5476-Use of Representative form.

Documentary Evidence to be Supplied by Main Applicant outside Canada:

  • $255.00 Visa Processing Fee (Online Payment Required Credit Card Details).
  • Copy of Birth Certificate.
  • One passport size Digital Scan photograph.
  • Copy of passport (All stamped page).
  • Copy of Marriage Certificate.
  • Copy of Divorce Certificate (if applicable).
  • Employment Confirmation Letter from Current Employer.
  • Holiday/Leave Letter from current Employer.
  • Last 6 months of Payslips and 6 months Checking Account Bank Statement to verify the salary deposited
  • Most Recent Year Income Tax Return - Main Applicant.
  • All Bank Passbook with recent entries in your Home Country.
  • All the Fixed Deposit Copies in your Home Country.
  • Current Dated Valuation Reports of Property in your Home country.
  • Most Recent Year Income Tax Return - (Parents or In-laws, If applicable to Support source of income and funds).
  • Immigration E-Medical Examination.(Original Confirmation) (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/medical/medexams-perm.asp).
  • Police Clearance Certificate for each country you have lived in for more than six months since the age of 18. (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp)

Not all of these things are required ofcourse, but this a generic checklist they asked for.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.