I am currently living in the Netherlands, but working remote for a non-dutch company from abroad and receiving income from them based on hours worked, on a freelance basis. The contract stipulates that I have to take care of the taxes in my country of residence.

I am confused by the taxation schemes with regards to this situation. How should I approach the topic of registering this activity and which taxation scheme applies?

  • The answer to this question will almost certainly depend on the nationality of the person asking it, as well as the country where the non-Dutch company is located.
    – Scott Earle
    Feb 9, 2016 at 6:45

2 Answers 2


If you are not an EU citizen, it is quite likely that you will need a Dutch work permit in order to work in the Netherlands. This is usually something best organised before you actually start to do any work, in case it turns into a bureaucratic nightmare (or an impossibility).

The rules for EU citizens are almost certainly different.


The page of the Dutch tax authority (belastingdienst) explains clearly that you should pay your tax in the Netherlands if you live there (and also stated here):

If you live in the Netherlands, you must state your complete worldwide income in your tax return. Your income from abroad is also part of your worldwide income (for example income from employment or foreign property).

There are some agreements with other countries to avoid double taxation.

When you immigrate you will have to do several things, the things related to working are:

  • Obtain a Citizen service number:

    You will be given this number by the local authorities where you live. The municipal authority will pass on your details to us.

  • Account number:

    you will need an account with a Dutch bank.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.