I need some expert advice to decide my next course of action. I am currently in US on L1B for the last 4 years and this year I need to decide if I should go for H1B or ask my employer to file for a green card.
As per maximum stay, I can only stay for 5 years on L1 and 6 years in H1, so if I choose H1 and if everything works out in my favor then I will be getting just one more year to stay in US. Can I instead use this time to get my GC processed? I ask this because:
- I will getting just one additional year (subject to clearing the lottery)
- Cost of H1 has increased significantly so I am not sure if this is worth for one extra year.
- Can I use this time (5th year) to get GC filed so that I will not have to go through the lottery and is more worth investment for my company.
Note: I don't have much information on the time it takes for green card processing and I'm not sure if one year of time is enough for me to get to point where they allow me an extension since my application is pending.
Note: I am from India so the current priority date for GC is 2008 but I just need to be at a point before the end of my 5 years where I get an extension with GC in processing. Please suggest.