I'm non-EU spouse of an EU (Italian) citizen. I have a residence card issued by the Italian authorities, stating that I'm a non-EU family member. My question is can I travel to Sweden without my spouse and stay up to 90 days there?

  • 1
    I assume you are not a citizen of a visa-exempt country. My understanding is that Sweden can require you to hold a visa if you travel without your spouse. Apply for one. They're unlikely to deny it, given your circumstances.
    – phoog
    Feb 22, 2016 at 23:12
  • @phoog but a residency permit from a Schengen country allows you to visit another Schengen member state for up to 90 days!
    – Sayed A.
    Apr 26, 2017 at 7:53
  • 1
    @SayedA. Hm. You are right. Perhaps you should add an answer.
    – phoog
    Apr 26, 2017 at 14:19

2 Answers 2


On http://ec.europa.eu

Visa exemptions

Your non-EU spouse, (grand)children or (grand)parents do not need to get a visa from the country they are travelling to if:

  • They have a residence permit or visa from another country in the border-free Schengen area (see list below) and the country they are travelling to belongs to that area.

enter image description here

NB: Residence permits issued by countries outside the Schengen area do not allow non-EU family members to travel visa-free to a Schengen area country.

So to answer your question, NO, you don't need visa to travel to Sweden for up to 90 days in any 180 days period!

This assumes, however, that you haven't been in other Schengen countries. Strictly speaking, with a residence permit you're still only allowed 90 days in any 180-day period in the Schengen area, not counting days when in the country that issued the permit. In practice, though, there's no way to enforce this easily, because border crossings in the Schengen area are not tracked.

(As an aside, the 90/180 rule does not apply when you are traveling with your EU family member; in that case you fall under the freedom of movement directive.)

  • You're right, I answered according to the OP's situation since he mentioned he is travelling without his spouse, you can edit my answer and add your comment as it might be useful!
    – Sayed A.
    Apr 26, 2017 at 18:24

Yes. Up to 90 days in any EU country. You could go to Norway for a day and do another 90, really, if you'd like.

But don't ask important questions like these on the web. Ask the proper authorities

  • Sorry, the 90 days is for travel without a visa if you are a citizen of a visa exempt country. Since you have a residence permit in the EU you can go wherever you like in the EEA and Switzerland. But don't take my word for it, ask the authorities.
    – LSU Moose
    Jul 20, 2016 at 19:03
  • 3
    Again, that's wrong in several ways and your link confirms that. Can you please take some time to actually read the material you are quoting before spreading more misinformation?
    – Gala
    Jul 20, 2016 at 19:09
  • 3
    No, that's not what it means. Because you might need to apply for a visa (and it says that in the very next section of the page). It is however true that a residence permit from another Schengen (but not “EU”) country would exempt you from this visa requirement in Sweden (which is a Schengen country). Similarly, it does not apply to non-Schengen EU countries like the UK (where a visa might be required) and is distinct from the EU freedom of movement right to stay 90 days without residence permit in each country (which only applies if you are travelling with your EU spouse).
    – Gala
    Jul 20, 2016 at 19:23
  • 3
    The distinction between the two is what makes the question complicated. Your answer does not address that issue and is unhelpful.
    – Gala
    Jul 20, 2016 at 19:26
  • 2
    Fair enough but you did write “any EU country”, not Sweden. And “ask the authorities” is less helpful than you might think and is at best a comment.
    – Gala
    Jul 20, 2016 at 20:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.