Well, in USA, I have to show that I can pay the tuition fee and also support myself. If I receive tuition waiver,I need not pay tuition fee, but I have to support myself. If I receive a TAship offer, then I can show that and say that I have my means to support myself in USA. The TAship amount is enough for the living expenses in the United States.

When I face the visa interview, will I have to bring bank statement to show some amount of money? How much? My economic condition is not good.

  • No idea, but it may be a month or more before you're paid once you start an assistantship so you're going to need some resources (plus flights, etc).
    – mkennedy
    Feb 24, 2016 at 21:56

1 Answer 1


First of all, you can only work 10 hours a week on F1 visa. And, it is barely enough to cover your living expenses actually. I would suggest contacting International Students Office and ask them about your current situation and how much you need to declare to get your SEVIS and I-20.

In my case I declared a year of tuition + estimated living expenses, which amounted to $46500. You however, do not have to put this money into a US bank or whatsoever. You just have to show that you have sufficient funds to support yourself and won't be taking advantage of wellfare or working illegally.

  • It's 20 hours per week, not 10 during academic session, You can work full-time during breaks, summers.
    – mkennedy
    Feb 26, 2016 at 19:04
  • @mkennedy you might be right, when I worked as a TA back in 2014, we were restricted to 10 hours maximum, that's why I said 10 hours. Thanks for the insight. Feb 27, 2016 at 15:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.