I have just arrived in USA 2 days ago.

I have family-visa F4 category.

I need to know that will I have to apply for SSN

or I will receive my SSN automatically because I requested for SSN when I filled my DS-260 form.


If you asked for an SSN on the DS-260 the SSA will automatically mail the card to the address where you'll receive your green card once they are notified that you have entered the US. This reference says you should complain if you don't get the card within 3 weeks.

  • ?? F-4 is an immigrant visa (i.e. green card). DS-260 is the form you fill out to apply for consular processing of an immigrant visa. Once (s)he's got the visa from a consulate and entered the US on it (s)he's good to work. – Dennis Feb 26 '16 at 19:13
  • Sorry! My mistake, I was mixing it up with a dependent of student visa. I'm deleting my original comment. – mkennedy Feb 26 '16 at 19:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.