My spouse has a US H1 visa stamped until 2018. I have the H4 stamped until 2018. I reached US recently and at the port of entry, the seal that was put says "admit until end September 2016".

Is it possible to extend my stay beyond September 2016? If yes, what is the procedure?

  • 1
    What does your husband's admission stamp say for "until"? – phoog Mar 19 '16 at 5:14
  • 1
    From a comment to the migrated question the OP says their I-94 says they were admitted until 2018. So I don't think the question is still relevant. To the OP: you can ask CBP to correct the stamp on your passport, if you want; but anyway it's the I-94 that is authoritative. – user102008 Mar 19 '16 at 5:53
  • @phoog : My spouse's admission stamp says he is admitted until 2018. My I-94 says I am admitted until 2018 and as per my admission stamp it is September 2016. – NeonGlow Mar 19 '16 at 10:22
  • @user102008 my understanding was that the visa is valid until 2018 but the admission stamp is until 2016. This is admittedly based on the assumption that the OP is using the phrase "visa stamp" to refer to the machine readable sticker placed in the passport. This usage seems to be commonplace in certain circles, especially among H-1B workers. – phoog Mar 20 '16 at 3:55
  • @NeonGlow by I-94 do you mean your record in the database, which you looked up on the website? – phoog Mar 20 '16 at 3:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.