I am planning to immigrate to Canada.

My primary aim is to have some diploma in livestock farming.

After finishing my diploma, Can I obtain some land on lease from the government to do some livestock farming?

Which province would be best for farming and agriculture?

  • 1
    What makes you think the Government (as opposed to private individuals / companies) would have farmable land available to lease? Do you have a source/reference for this scheme?
    – Gagravarr
    Commented Mar 22, 2016 at 21:30
  • @Gagravarr, Canada is a huge country and most of the landmass is uninhabited. So, logically, all land can't be held privately.
    – user9270
    Commented Mar 22, 2016 at 21:53

1 Answer 1


There is indeed a vast swath of Canada which is crown land. Most of it is in the North of the country. According to this web site it is indeed more than 90% of the land. But bear in mind that most if it is either forest, tundra or ice. The province of Ontario maintains a web site which gives your more information. The interesting part of the text might be this:

Crown land is no longer actively marketed, rented or sold for private recreational or residential use.


Using search engines revealed several sources. It definitely seems that you have to go to the provinces. Saskatchewan and Manitoba have at least the subject of land lease for agriculture on their web sites.

It seems you have to be Permanent Resident or Citizen to farm here.

  • But the use contemplated in the question is neither recreational nor residential, so this doesn't seem to answer the question.
    – phoog
    Commented Mar 23, 2016 at 5:34
  • Interesting comment, have you had a look at the page from the Ontario government? If so you'd have noticed that there is a list of conditions which qualify an individual for the transfer of crown land. I couldn't find anything which included agriculture but perhaps you'll have more luck. I provided a link so that anonymous and everybody else who'd care to read can make up his own mind. Commented Mar 23, 2016 at 16:40
  • I suspect that agriculture falls within "commercial purpose," but I don't really know. I added my comment because those who are moving too quickly to follow the link might conclude from your answer -- as I initially did -- that crown land is not available, period. Only after I looked a second time, noticed "recreational or residential," and followed the link, did I see that crown land does seem to be available for commercial and industrial use.
    – phoog
    Commented Mar 23, 2016 at 17:04
  • 1
    I'm curious whether it is still possible to get land for agricultural purpose from the government. It sounds like the settlers of the 1800s. There first European settlers here where I live were Mennonites from Pennsylvania. They bought the land from a British officer in England who in turn got it from the First Nation. Commented Mar 23, 2016 at 20:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.