I'm a Belgian citizen. My American girlfriend comes to visit me for three months at a time but the plan is for her to eventually stay here permanently. When the time comes that she meets the requirements for a cohabitation visa, can she request the necessary documents/procedures and submit the visa application here during her visit?

I ask simply because it seems like an unnecessary annoyance for her to have to travel to a different state to visit a Belgian consulate in the US in person when she's legally staying here for extended periods of time anyway.

  • 2
    Germany and the Netherlands, at least allow citizens of certain countries, including the US, to do this. Belgium might, too, but I don't know.
    – phoog
    Apr 2, 2016 at 0:46
  • @phoog That is hopeful at least. I silly for having to ask this question as a Belgian citizen myself but the government websites are a mess and government hard to reach.
    – Lawyerson
    Apr 5, 2016 at 10:12

1 Answer 1


According to Expatica:

If you’re already in Belgium – perhaps because you don't need an entry visa for less than three months, or you have a residence card for another purpose – you should apply at the local Belgian municipal administration offices/town hall (maison communale/gemeentehuis).

You’ll need to complete an application form for a long-stay visa in Belgium, and also supply originals and copies of other documents, which may include:

  • a valid passport/travel ID document;
  • a work permit, proof of registration at an educational institution, marriage/civil partnership or birth certificates (if applicable);
  • proof that you can support yourself during your stay; proof of accommodation;
  • a medical certificate to prove that you don’t have any disease which could endanger public health;
  • a certificate to show you don’t have a criminal record.

The visa takes the form of a sticker in your passport/travel ID.

The information, in English, references Agentschap Integratie & Inburgering.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.