I have a greencard but I can't find a job in the US so I have never worked there or moved. I just entered with the inmigrant visa snd then received the card in the mail.

  • Why would there be any restriction on your movement? – phoog Apr 11 '16 at 9:16
  • I think the question is, how long does anyone have to move to the USA once they get their PR status. – edocetirwi Apr 11 '16 at 19:13
  • 1
    @edocetirwi I think "I just entered with the immigrant visa and then received the card in the mail" means that the OP has already arrived in the US and received the PR ("green") card. Note that being approved for, or receiving, an immigrant visa does not confer PR status; that only happens when the immigrant is admitted to the US with the immigrant visa. – phoog Apr 11 '16 at 21:42

You become a permanent resident the moment you enter with your immigrant visa. As a permanent resident, you can move wherever you want, whenever you want.

(If you're talking about moving outside the US, there's no restriction on the timing of this move, but there are restrictions on the length of time you may remain out of the country without losing your permanent resident status. You can apply for permission to exceed these limits.)

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Note that while you have the freedom to move, after you move you are required to report your new address with Form AR-11. – Dan Getz Apr 11 '16 at 21:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.