I am applying for UK dependant visa under Tier 2 Dependant. Regarding the supporting documents, is marriage certificate endorsement by Ministry of External Affairs required? I am applying from India. Kindly answer

  • The UK publishes very detailed guidance about the documents you should submit. Did you read it? What did it say? What part of it did you have trouble understanding?
    – phoog
    Apr 16 '16 at 21:37
  • There was no details of the above said attestation in any website. But it was mentioned by vfs agency when I called
    – Dr misba
    Apr 17 '16 at 8:11
  • Possible duplicate of UK Visitor Visa Supporting Documents Apr 25 '16 at 22:11
  • @oskarpearson the question you marked as a duplicate was closed as off topic because it concerned a visitor visa. This question is about a Tier 2 visa, which is on topic for this site.
    – phoog
    Apr 25 '16 at 22:26
  • @phoog they were asked by the same person on the same day. The other question didn't include the type of visa, and this seems to be the clarification. One of them should probably go as a duplicate. Thanks! Apr 25 '16 at 23:44

The guidance notes for applicants and dependents requires evidence of a marriage that is legally recognised and documented and continue to be currently married. For the document to be accepted in a country other than that in which it was issued, it generally requires an apostille or attestation. In India,

The Ministry of External Affairs attests original documents//true copies of documents for use abroad. Attestation done by the Ministry of External Affairs is of two types:

1. Apostille:
India, since 2005, is a member of the Hague Convention of October 5, 1961 that abolished the requirement of legalization of foreign public documents. Apostille is acceptable in 105 member-countries of the Convention (For more info please visit the website: www.hcch.net). Apostille is done for personal documents like birth/death/marriage certificates, Affidavits, Power of Attorney, etc. and educational documents like degree, diploma, matriculation and secondary level certificates etc. Any document Apostilled in one member country is acceptable in all the other 104 member-countries, signatory to the referred convention of 1961 thus greatly simplifying the process of attestation by making it needless to get the documents attested in each or for each of the countries separately.

2. Normal Attestation:
This is done for all the countries which are not a member of Hague Convention and where Apostille is not accepted.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.