Long-time foreigners in Japan walk around with their small zairyu card ("gaijin card") rather than having to carry their bulky passport.

But when taking the plane within Japan (for instance Sapporo-Naha), is the zairyu card enough?
Or can I be prevented from flying if I don't have my passport too?

  • 1
    In fact you are required to carry your residence card if you have one; a passport is not acceptable as a substitute.
    – fkraiem
    Commented Apr 28, 2016 at 17:43

2 Answers 2


Domestic flights in Japan do not require ID of any kind, there are no (regular) ID checks at check-in or on the plane.

However, Japanese law requires you to carry your zairyu card at all times, whether flying on a plane or not.


The card is sufficient. I've flown intra-Japan many times, and never brought along my passport.

  • 1
    I have never been asked for my card either, for that matter, but in any case you are required to have it with you anyway... (And ditto with my passport when I was a tourist.)
    – fkraiem
    Commented Apr 28, 2016 at 17:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.