I am a 70 years US Citizen and my wife is a 65 years Indian Citizen. I frequently visit India. Can I petition I-130 for my wife -(along with G-325A for me and my wife) while I am in India and can I give my Indian Address in I-130. I will stay in India until this process is over. Can I send form I-130 to Chicago? What about I-485 and I-864? When are these forms required?

1 Answer 1


You can file the petition while you are in India, but you have to intend to re-establish domicile in the US concurrently with, or before, your wife enters the US.

Yes, a standalone I-130 filed from outside the US goes to the Chicago Lockbox.

Your wife will go through Consular Processing in India. I-485 is for applying for Adjustment of Status in the US, which is not what your wife is going through; it is not used in this process. I-864 Affidavit of Support will be asked of you during the process.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.