I am Luxembourgish freelancer and I'm working at home as a programmer.I'd like to go live in France (Lorraine) where accommodation is much cheaper than here.

So I am wondering:

  1. Can I continue paying my social security charges in Luxembourg? (provided that I live quite close to Luxembourg so that I can use only Luxembourg's medical services)

  2. If it is not possible, which administration in France should I contact to get more information to make arrangments for the move?

  • What's your citizenship? If you are not from the EU, it might not even be possible (or at least quite difficult) to move to France...
    – Gala
    May 10, 2016 at 13:58
  • @Gala the citizenship appears to be Luxembourg, as stated in the first sentence.
    – phoog
    May 10, 2016 at 18:18
  • @Gala, yep my citizenship Luxembourgish.
    – Jand
    May 10, 2016 at 20:01
  • @phoog & Jand I assumed it meant registered/operating in Luxembourg, could be useful to clarfiy that.
    – Gala
    May 11, 2016 at 8:10

1 Answer 1


Basically, you have to pay contributions to the health and retirement system in the country where you work. But you are free to get healthcare in France as well, even if you work in Luxembourg and do not pay anything to the French statutory health insurance system directly. Income taxes could be more complicated.

You will find much info about this with respect to employees, and that's also the situation with which I am most familiar, but the same (EU) rules apply to self-employed people, as far as I know. See this page from the EU commission and europa.eu pages on cross-border commuters and social security cover abroad.

Lesfrontaliers.lu might also be helpful.

  • Well I'm going to live in France and work from home there. So basically I'm going to be a transfrontalier. What about this?
    – Jand
    May 10, 2016 at 20:02
  • @Jand With no commuting/presence in Luxembourg, clients' sites, etc. it's more complicated, I am not sure actually. Maybe try to look-up any bilateral tax agreement between Luxembourg and France?
    – Gala
    May 11, 2016 at 8:11
  • There are exemptions in the EU for people on a temporary posting not exceeding five years. They can keep paying into the system of their home country even for the time they are abroad.
    – user149408
    Jun 6, 2016 at 19:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.