I am a British by descent and my child born outside the uk. Now I am in uk with my child, how do I apply for my child's settlement. Which is the most suitable way and quick too. Please help

  • What is the child's status at the moment. How long have you lived in the UK with the child?
    – ouflak
    Commented May 19, 2016 at 10:35

1 Answer 1


Your child can get British citizenship in the following ways:

  • Register under section 3(2): To qualify for this, you need to have a parent (the child's grandparent) who was a British citizen otherwise than by descent, and you need to have lived in the UK for a period of 3 years some time in your life before the child's birth, during which you were not absent for more than 270 days. The child becomes a British citizen by descent.
  • Register under section 3(5): To qualify for this, the child and both parents must have been living in the UK for the 3 years immediately preceding the application. The child becomes a British citizen otherwise than by descent.

Since your child is already in the UK, if you plan to be there for a while (at least 3 years), section 3(5) has the slight advantage that the child becomes a British citizen otherwise than by descent, so won't have the same problem you had in transmitting British citizenship to children born abroad in the future.

  • Thanku. Could unguided me further how long time procedure is and also what if my husband is not joining us here and will join in few years time. I want the process to be done now.
    – Irum
    Commented May 18, 2016 at 8:06
  • Also what about the procedure of settlement? Indefinite leave to remain and then nationality?
    – Irum
    Commented May 18, 2016 at 8:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.